Friday 11 September 2015

Oz

As I journey further into this project I find layers of resistance from the world, myself, and even the end-of-life care community. While poking into the sensitive subject of death and dying I was prepared for fear and suppression from the greater world. I am a little surprised by my own discomfort but attribute it to me being raised by and a member of the greater world.. so, yes, of course I should expect to find uneasiness in my own heart and soul.

From the palliative, hospice world itself I expected open hearted inclusion but found reluctance and suspicion. I know there are very good, very important reasons why one must go through such extensive screening procedures - interview, orientation, criminal record check, references, 26 hours of training only available a select locations and times, etc.. - but I wonder if the Wizard of Oz like curtain we hang between our pedestrian lives and the sacred, end-of-life living are only reinforcing society's fear and denial of death.



No comments:

Post a Comment