Friday 17 April 2015

lingering


After two days visiting with Martha and Barry at the ranch, I'm home and sleep eludes me. It's 3:09 and I lay awake, listening to Kim and Boomer's breathing; relaxed, heavy, rattled and uneven. When Kim's exhale stalls I nudge him gently and I think - at some point a nudge won't remind him to inhale. There will come a time when he will forget the importance of breathing. Something else will capture his attention. 
Illustrations © Barbara J Holzapfel

I remember the sound of Barry's breathing machine and the dusty light in his still room. I miss them and the people who love and care for them. While Barry and Martha's stories circle me, I find myself frustrated that I wasn't more vigilant in writing down the conversations. 

It takes a certain mindfulness to be present while still noticing what one might want to document. I have some of that awareness but, now that I understand that my personal diary of The Passing Diaries is of value, I must set up a system that allows me to stay present, and record at the same time. My presence must not intrude in this intimate process. 

I long to connect and yet yearn to be unobtrusive.

1 comment:

  1. This project is inspirational and will help so many people. It will support and comfort both the people that are passing on and the ones that are left behind with their grief.

    ReplyDelete