Wednesday 29 April 2015

Rosie and the Riverters

I was at a concert on the weekend at our local Opera House to see the Saskatchewan band, Rosie and the Riveters. The original Rosie the Riveter was a cultural icon of the United States, representing the American women who worked in factories and shipyards during World War II, many of whom produced munitions and war supplies.

As the band states on their web site:
"Since the second World War, Rosie the Riveter has been immortalized as a symbol of the strength and power that is inside every woman. This is the force that drives and inspires Rosie and the Riveters. They are four fiercely talented women inspired by Rosie, the fashion and music of her time."

Illustrations © Barbara J Holzapfel
I can't help but think of Martha. So many of my conversations with her husband, Barry, have been about the war and his time as a fighter pilot. I am totally enthralled by his amazing tales, so much so that I find myself neglecting Martha. What are her stories?

I haven't even asked her what she was doing back home while her future husband was away saving the world! I wonder.. was she a Rosie?



One of the songs the band sang on the weekend was, Go on mama / we don't get out of here alive. It was written by Farideh, one of the young women in the group. She wrote it about her Grandmother as she was passing. It touched my heart and made me think of Martha once again.

Go on mama / we don’t get out of here alive
Go on mama, I’ll be okay
I’ve learned from the best - how to be brave
You taught me well and did the best you could
I hope that I can be half as good
CHORUS
For we don’t get out of here alive
we, don’t get out of here alive
we don’t get out of here alive
it’s so much brighter and lighter,
On the other side
Go on mama
Go find the light
I take comfort knowing
I’m not that far behind
Your second son, is waiting for you
His hands outstretched to guide you through
CHORUS
For we don’t get out of here alive
we, don’t get out of here alive
we don’t get out of here alive
it’s so much brighter and lighter,
On the other side
Go on mama, go on and make you’re move
I’m strong enough now, to burry you
The heavens gates, and the arms of saints (HARMONIES)
Open wide as smiles to welcome you (HARMONIES)
CHORUS
For we don’t get out of here alive
we, don’t get out of here alive
we don’t get out of here alive
it’s so much brighter and lighter, (brighter, lighter, brighter)
For we don’t get out of here alive
we, don’t get out of here alive
we don’t get out of here alive
it’s so much brighter and lighter,
On the other side







No comments:

Post a Comment