Saturday 9 May 2015

nails

It is said that most women dress for other women's approval. Reviewing the various reasons why women wear makeup, there emerges a different story. The universal, number one reason seems to be - it's fun! Years ago I ran an international advertising agency out of Vancouver, B.C.. One morning I entered the boardroom for our routine Monday morning account meeting when I realized, with absolute mortification, that I'd forgotten to apply any mascara that morning. Clearly, makeup was not about fun for me; it was about presenting a very particular face to the world; I am responsible, sensible, clever, and trustworthy.

Illustrations © Barbara J Holzapfel
As illness takes possession of physical appearance, it is often difficult to present oneself to those friends and family members who haven't been through ones external transformation along the way. When the family was planning to transport Barry and Martha to a family gathering, I thought maybe I could help Martha feel good about going - feel a little more like her 'old' self - and I asked her if she'd like me to do her nails. I was totally unprepared for the delight in her response. Not being much of a nail person myself, I only had three colours in my personal collection. But, for Martha, there was little girl excitement around selecting the colour.. was she up for red, or should she settle on something a little more subtle, like the soft pink.

Little did I know, wearing nail polish had never been her habit. Martha would attend the family gathering with fancy nails to celebrate her attendance and mindfully contribute to her personal transformation.


No comments:

Post a Comment